VLC Media Player
 Go back to the VLC Media Player page
Cool
 By Htos1a - Posted on March 21, 2011 - 08:36:07   (#23310)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
A nice player to replace the obsolete realplayer on a beloved vintage BeOs 5 box.Thanks for posting.Bon Echo on 5.0.1pro,still runs sweet.

this is effectively unmaintained now
 By MYOB - Posted on November 25, 2010 - 23:51:31   (#23305)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
This is a build from over a year ago that I decided should really be let go free.

I'd have to investigate how to add support for SAMBA shares, and test it which would be hard as the Windows machine I have is also my Haiku machine...

Please add support for samba shares
 By Diver - Posted on November 25, 2010 - 20:55:31   (#23304)
See http://ports.haiku-files.org/ticket/216

Also if this package is going to be included as Haiku optional package it would be consistent with other apps that to have /boot/apps/VLC instead of /boot/apps/vlc-0.8.6i. See similar already resolved ticket at Vision project: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3005729&group_id=19867&atid=119867

Playing from samba shares
 By Diver - Posted on July 24, 2009 - 13:33:01   (#23201)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
Is there any reason why libaccess_smb_plugin.so isn't included?
I have several TB of video shared via samba (linux box) I'd like to access from Haiku.

Where did RTSP go...?
 By Pete G. - Posted on April 30, 2008 - 06:16:40   (#22771)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
I've been running 0.8.6, and I find I can't listen to BBC audio (RAM) streams. (It always plays fine for a minute or so, then goes silent, and comes back a few seconds later -- *doubled*! Actually sounds as if it is playing each buffer both forward and backward. Weird...)

I decided to upgrade to 0.8.6c, but that wouldn't even find a suitable access module for those RAM streams. I checked, and sure enough libaccess_realrtsp_plugin.so is missing! I copied over the older version to the plugins folder and the stream then played -- not surprisingly exactly the same as before.

Any suggested reasons for the above -- both the odd playback and the missing plugin?

(BTW the bad 'file-types' attribute that I reported over a year ago still seems to be the case. Doesn't anybody else have trouble with drag&drop?)

Not talking about .9x
 By Michael.Henry - Posted on April 29, 2008 - 21:18:40   (#22767)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
I was talking about .8x. Downloaded the source to .8.6f and wanted to play with it.

Thanks.

No longer possible
 By MYOB - Posted on April 29, 2008 - 11:07:07   (#22766)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
VLC 0.9.x does not and will never support BeOS R5 due to heavy reliance on gcc4, threading and networking changes.

Compiling it....
 By Michael.Henry - Posted on April 28, 2008 - 22:36:46   (#22765)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
Downloaded the source from VLC. They you Git now instead of SVN. The Beos instructions to compile doesn't work. Any way to compile this?

Re: It's working !
 By tonestone57 - Posted on December 4, 2007 - 02:16:28   (#22251)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
Great to hear. Running with SSE will surely help out.

I recall turning off SSE & it made a difference when running GLTeapot.

If I recall correctly ; GLTeapot ( Software OpenGL mode )

SSE off:
50-60 fps

SSE on:
110+ fps

VLC uses SSE too. So, it should benefit by having it on also. Though I haven't run any tests myself to see how big/small the difference is. Turning on SEE sure impacts OpenGL though.

It's working !
 By hey68you - Posted on December 2, 2007 - 13:32:29   (#22210)
Thanks to all,

I just replaced the 3 files using those from non-MAX Ed PE R5.0.3 net_server.
kernel_intel
kernel_intel.patch
libroot.so.patch

booted and running and thankfully, VLC 0.8.6.c working great!

SSE
 By Cyan - Posted on November 30, 2007 - 10:29:09   (#22170)
hey68you --

Since you're using a P4, I'd suggest doing everything possible to restore BeOS Max to the unpatched R5 state -- presumably this involves undoing any kernel patch (AuthenticAMD), and perhaps restoring the kernel_intel.patch and libroot.so patch files as tonestone57 mentioned.

On Intel hardware, R5 should use SSE without any problems at all, and the Athlon patch might mess it up.

Also note that it's quite normal for VLC to crash at startup occasionally, so don't be discouraged if it seems to crash the first time after you try something -- just relaunch it and it should be okay (the statistical chance of it crashing twice on a row is very small).

Something I have noticed is that VLC will randomly KDL (after several minutes) if CPU features are enabled which aren't present on the CPU.
I had this problem with my old Thunderbird Athlon (which was pre-SSE), and had to manually disable everything except MMX and 3DNow! to get it working reliably.
On my new Intel system, I can enable SSE without any problems. I haven't tried SSE2 yet for fear of visiting KDL -- does BeOS correctly save/restore all registers required for SSE2?

AthlonXp SSE
 By _edge - Posted on November 30, 2007 - 09:18:52   (#22169)
hey68you,

I've used BeOS R5 on an AthlonXP, and none of the 'hacks' people posted that modify the kernel patch loader work to enable it (only worked to disable it so I could boot the kernel, IIRC).

What did work for me was using Caz's AthlonXpSSEenable available: http://bebits.com/app/2833

I don't know if BeOSMax does or did make use of AthlonXpSSEenable, i.e. if it's used by default I wouldn't know ; however I _highly_ recommend that program and suggest you try using it and see what happens.

If AthlonXpSSEenable appears to work and reports SSE successfully enabled, then try VLC - but if VLC still disables SSE - then I'd call it a force-kludge.

If this is what it appears to you as, then you can check to see if it really is a force-kludge by compiling the small test code Diver posted under the AthlonXpSSEenable talkback, which I'll just list right here for simplicity's sake:
int main()
{
asm("xorps %xmm0, %xmm0"); //
return 0;
}

If (when compiled) that program runs and does not crash, nor does it force your machine into KDL, then SSE is definately enabled. Really though, I think that's overkill - there is a self-test built-in to AthlonXpSSEenable ; so this would just be to 'convince' VLC maintainer[s] ;)

Anyhow GLuck, I don't recall what method VLC uses in it's BeOS code to test for SIMD, but I suppose there is always possibility of something here case-specific tripping it up....

-edge

RE: Athlon patch related problem - now what?
 By tonestone57 - Posted on November 30, 2007 - 02:58:28   (#22168)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
BeOS PE & MAX use the same kernel_intel file. So, shouldn't cause you any problems with swapping.

Bone, Dano, Zeta will use a different & newer kernel_intel file and using one of these could cause issues.

By default, SSE is disabled on all processors in MAX because SSE freezes the OS when booting on Athlon XP processors.

To turn on SSE, you need to also change ( or copy ) two other ( text ) files.

kernel_intel.patch in /boot/beos/system
libroot.so.patch in /boot/beos/system/lib

These files are actually what enable SSE instructions. Look them over on MAX & PE to see the difference.

SSE works with Intel CPUs with the standard kernel_intel file ( no hack ).

SSE works on AMD Athlon XP CPUs with kernel_intel when it is "hacked" ( 2nd GenuineIntel -> AuthenticAMD ).

Athlon patch related problem - now what?
 By hey68you - Posted on November 29, 2007 - 13:06:54   (#22165)
Hi Cyan.

1st of all thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, I'm using an Intel P4, and yes this Max Ed is using the Athlon patch. (whereas on my other R5 PE it's not using the patch.

I tried the old version trick you suggested changing and saving the CPU settings, but this didn't work.

My question is how dangerous would it be for me to simply copy over the kernel_intel file from my non-patched machine and replace that file on this BeOS Max patched machine?

Isn't the only difference between the files that the 2nd time the word GenuineIntel appears, it is replaced with the word AuthenticAMD?

Any ideas or tricks would be greatly appreciated?

Also, excellent work on your MIDI efforts (SqueekySynth is amazing, although I only messed around with a bit when it first came out, as I am not a serious MIDI user, but hope to be someday - looking forward to your work).

Thanks,
hey68you

Re: help: vlc-0.8.6c on R5.0.3. PE Max ED v3
 By Cyan - Posted on November 28, 2007 - 23:08:42   (#22159)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
This sounds like an Athlon patch related problem to me...

Are you using an AMD CPU, or Intel?

Does Max edition have any kind of AMD patch applied to it by default? Have you applied any extra patches?

Another thing -- try running an older version of VLC, and go into the Advanced->CPU Features preferences, and try disabling everything in there (warning: VLC uses a non-standard GUI -- you need to click "save" in order to have it remember anything). Then update to the latest version.

help: vlc-0.8.6c on R5.0.3. PE Max ED v3
 By hey68you - Posted on November 28, 2007 - 15:25:37   (#22157)
When I try to run vlc-0.8.6c on R5.0.3. PE Max ED v3, I get this warning:

/boot/apps/vlc>./vlc-0.8.6.c
VLC media player 0.8.6c Janus
warning: your CPU has SSE instructions, but not your operating system.
some optimizations will be disabled unless you upgrade your OS

It takes about 85% cpu and never starts.

However on my other regular R5.0.3 PE (non-MAX edition) it works fine (running on Virtual PC)!

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
hey68you

Vlc with Beos Max V4 b1
 By kraton. - Posted on August 8, 2007 - 23:25:14   (#21882)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
I have problems to start VLC with BeOs max 4 b1.
Cannot start it. Any Ideas?

None
 By MYOB - Posted on July 5, 2007 - 10:54:35   (#21796)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
If you want to contribute towards the coding time for BeOS specific changes, feel free. Its nowhere -close- to a "compile update", however, it takes >2 days to port/compile, test, and package a release.

beos specific changes
 By BeOS Mr X - Posted on July 5, 2007 - 08:37:54   (#21795)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
any ? just a straight compile-update ?

Re: Which arch?
 By jonas.kirilla - Posted on July 4, 2007 - 17:38:14   (#21794)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
Oops. :/ I got the Zeta version by mistake. Apologies for the stirrup. Thank you for keeping VLC/BeOS alive, MYOB!

otto: nevermind, misread..
 By MYOB - Posted on July 4, 2007 - 14:24:20   (#21792)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
Thought you were posting that the file was missing, I read your comment too fast.

otto/rayman
 By MYOB - Posted on July 4, 2007 - 14:22:45   (#21791)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
Thats not a crash, its a missing symbol from an out-of-date version of libintl. VLC for Zeta "needs" 1.2.1 or higher, you may get it to work on 1.2 if you install a newer libintl.

As far as I'm aware there has never been a language menu in VLC on BeOS. If you export the appropriate LANG variables in the UserSetupEnviroment, VLC will pick it up.

language
 By rayman - Posted on July 4, 2007 - 10:06:37   (#21790)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
I remember to be able to change the language of the menus, but impossible to find where! if somebody has an idea

VLC 0.8.6c debugged
 By otto - Posted on July 4, 2007 - 09:43:39   (#21789)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
Cound not open 'vlc'. (Missing symbol 'libintl_snprintf')

copy to>> /boot/apps/vlc-0.8.6/lib/libintl.so <<

libintl.so ca. 58kB

from /boot/apps/vlc-0.8.6/lib

i have Zeta 1.2

Euver

Which arch?
 By MYOB - Posted on July 3, 2007 - 23:43:48   (#21788)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
I made the assumption everyone had a recentl libintl if on Zeta, but I provided it with the R5 build...

missing library
 By jonas.kirilla - Posted on July 3, 2007 - 22:27:18   (#21787)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
I think libintl.so is missing from 0.8.6c.

Accepting the fixed PID for VLC
 By kishora - Posted on June 19, 2007 - 16:49:08   (#21742)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
Better to have the client with the fixed PID option to select the input stream

Building VLC -- Attempting to contact the maintainer...
 By KJF - Posted on June 16, 2007 - 09:58:21   (#21732)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
MYOB -- Can you contact me about becoming involved in the build process for VLC. We have engineering talent I'd like to trow at the whole build problem. First up we would like to make a buildable tree. The current tree stops in a select.

-Karl rnd (a-t) magicboxinc .dot com

MYOB said...
These are all broken due to changes in the core (primarily playlist related) over time. The BeOS interface, excellent as it is, hasn't been kept up to date by either the real maintainer (titer) or the wannabe maintaine (me).

Can't drag and drop
 By Pete G. - Posted on February 4, 2007 - 06:22:41   (#21276)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
After installing V8.6 of vlc, it no longer recognized files dragged onto the icon -- just sat there like a lump.
After much hair-tearing, I found that the BEOS:FILE_TYPES attribute in the supplied executable seems to be bad somehow. My eventual solution was to do:
'cp vlc vlc_copy; mimeset vlc_copy' then rename the copy
back to 'vlc'. Works fine now.

R5 wmp support
 By jefro - Posted on December 29, 2006 - 16:59:34   (#21132)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
This is a major improvement on R5 for windows media. Good job.

this new version
 By gmiranda - Posted on December 18, 2006 - 15:40:22   (#21058)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
gotta love this player! wmv support rocks.

playback timer
 By MYOB - Posted on December 18, 2006 - 10:31:27   (#21057)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
Is broken due to massive internal changes in the process leading up to 0.8.0. You're welcome to fix it yourself, of course.

vew version, but...
 By BeOS Mr X - Posted on December 18, 2006 - 07:55:35   (#21056)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
Does the playback timer work yet ? Or is it still -- -- -- since version 0.7.2 ???

re By AlienSoldier
 By edmundf - Posted on December 10, 2006 - 16:27:00   (#21032)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
Now I deleted the older VLC version and all filetypes now showing the latest version, so far so good.
Still some movie clips I have here .wmv don't open
with vlc by default.
AAAAARRRCHH! :-)

edmundf, go into file type
 By AlienSoldier - Posted on December 9, 2006 - 23:29:01   (#21029)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
in filetype go into video, then select your prefered app to play the videos.

If you have 2 app with same signature (2 version of VLC), you can zip the one you want to keep a round. that way it will start the right one if it's the only one around.

this is not support but the talkback
 By BeOS Mr X - Posted on December 9, 2006 - 19:14:15   (#21028)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
register on the haiku max forums instead of asking here

Re vlc default
 By edmundf - Posted on December 9, 2006 - 18:57:46   (#21027)
Thanks Mr X but http://www.beosmax.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=520#520
doesn't work here, the problem is, there is a vlc in the filetype list, this is VLC 7.2.
I want to select a newer version and browsing to it and selecting it, doesn't work! Only vlc 7.2 shows up
after selecting an other version.
I did not want to delete the 7.2 version because it was until now, the only version which played the sound right. I checked info on MIME types too but I did not
find how that is supposed to work either.

Playing swf video files in VLC
 By Cyan - Posted on December 9, 2006 - 05:23:33   (#21023)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
Just in case anyone doesn't know already, ".swf" files that contain FLV movies (e.g., those found on Google Video, Youtube, etc.) can be converted by various web-based rippers (e.g., http://www.keepvid.com/ ) in Firefox, and saved as ".flv" files compatible with VLC (both 0.8.5 and 0.8.6 seem to play them just fine).
One slight problem is that I can't seem to seek such video files; they must be played from start to finish. Maybe that will be cleared up in a later release?

edmundf vlc default
 By BeOS Mr X - Posted on December 8, 2006 - 23:34:24   (#21022)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
well what you have to do is read this

Just to mention that flash movie as in .flv do work.
 By AlienSoldier - Posted on December 8, 2006 - 18:08:23   (#21021)
 Current version when comment was posted: nightly
flash "interactive" media don't work, but movies in flv container do.

Comment Pages:    << prev  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  next >>

Misc. Video Tools