VLC Media Player
 Go back to the VLC Media Player page
Uh so why dont you just down load it?
 By Jess - Posted on September 5, 2002 - 11:48:52   (#3028)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.4a
Ya missing libray... it says on the VLC page you need this libray & gives you the link.

Re: hangs & no window
 By Idéfix - Posted on September 5, 2002 - 10:51:14   (#3027)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.4a
When running 0.4.4a, I get an alert saying:
Could not open "vlc" (Missing library: libdl.so).

0.4.4 works just fine.

Re: hangs & no window
 By stippi - Posted on September 5, 2002 - 10:35:55   (#3026)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.4a
I usually see this behaviour, if app and plugins are from different versions. (Or one of the plugins is from a different version). The problem here is that some of the essential classes that make up a BeOS application are contained in the app itself, some are in the BeOS interface plugin. I don't know all the details... Can you examine the problem with this in mind and maybe give me more info?

-stippi

It does not work here. :P
 By BGA - Posted on September 5, 2002 - 01:14:00   (#3023)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.4a
When I try to run the latest version of vlc it just hangs. Even its window does not show up.

Running it from the Terminal shows the following:

[/boot/home/Desktop/My Applications/Video/vlc_0.4.4a]> ./vlc
VideoLAN Client - version 0.4.4_2002-09-03 Ourumov - (c) 1996-2002 VideoLAN

And nothing more. As I said, it hangs.

Ideas?

-Bruno

no buffer overlay
 By SlimSCSI2 - Posted on September 4, 2002 - 15:40:57   (#3012)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.4a
I'm sorry, I should have read all the questions before replying. I have an ATI all in Wonder 128

no buffer overlay
 By SlimSCSI2 - Posted on September 4, 2002 - 15:39:26   (#3011)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.4a
I cant remember if I have 16 or 32 Megs, but a friend of mine (with the AIW pro) only has 8 and it works great, So i'm not sure that VRAM is the issue.

no buffer overlay
 By tonycastley - Posted on August 28, 2002 - 05:18:07   (#2872)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.4
This would be easy to implement. I will attempt to get it in the new release and in the older branch (just in case)

single buffered overlay
 By rudolfc - Posted on August 27, 2002 - 20:06:31   (#2867)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.4
SlimSCSI2: How much videoRAM does your card have, and what brand do you have?

Tony / Stephan?: I would expect that he has a low amount of RAM, so in his case only single buffered overlay would work. This is the reason I would implement both single and double buffered overlay in VLC. (Maybe you already did though, I have to admit I have yet again to look at the code to be 'up to date'..
It's on my wishlist, that's for sure ;-)

Best regards!

Rudolf.

Re: OverLay
 By SlimSCSI2 - Posted on August 25, 2002 - 17:46:46   (#2833)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.4
By "It doesn't work", I mean that vlc uses BBitmap to display the picture, It doesn't create an overlay to display the video.

Re: OverLay
 By titer - Posted on August 21, 2002 - 15:30:05   (#2777)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.4
What do you mean "it doesn't work"?
You should give more details so somebody can investigate this (you may use the vlc@videolan.org mailing list).

OverLay
 By SlimSCSI2 - Posted on August 21, 2002 - 02:26:43   (#2767)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.4
I have a All-In-Wonder 128
Video Overlay worked on VERY old versions of VLC, but It just doesn't anymore.

A friend of mine has a All-In-Wonder Pro, He lost Overlay for a while, but got it back in a recent release.

any chance of resolving this?

Segmentation error
 By tonycastley - Posted on July 16, 2002 - 15:25:25   (#2221)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.2
A while ago (I thought it was fixed, but maybe not) there was a bug in the 3dnow acceleration. Try running the app with the command line option --no3dn. This will disable 3dnow and may get around this problem. Don't hesitate to email me if this does not work.
PS Trying different types of files would help us to debug this.

Tony

Re: vlc 4.2.0 - segment error
 By titer - Posted on July 16, 2002 - 12:53:41   (#2220)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.2
bob_holbert,

Could you try vlc with several DVDs, mpeg movies and DivX files? Does it always crash?

Titer

vlc 4.0.2 - segment error
 By bob_holbert - Posted on July 16, 2002 - 08:14:47   (#2218)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.2
Hoping for some help with VLC 0.4.2. This is the first time I have attempted to install vlc.

On starting to play a DVD, it seems to run for about 20 seconds before showing the following error:

THread Name: input
Error: segment violation

Team ID: 7122 Thread ID: 16184
EIP: 0x8001cd79

Running on the following system:

Epox 8XHA+ with Athlon XP1700+ and 512mb DDR ram;
Matrox G450 using latest BeBits driver
Not sure about the brand of the DVD player but otherwise seems to work OK

Tried installing from the binary - also tried to compile locally using the guidance set out below. Running no other programs - although I get the same error message with other programs open as well.

tia

Bob Holbert
Canberra
Australia

Re: Sound not working anymore, Video fixed, but choppy.
 By tonycastley - Posted on July 16, 2002 - 01:24:21   (#2213)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.2
atapahs

can you email me with more details. No one has touched the sound code AFAIK so I am unsure what is going on there. If you had a green bar before and not now then your card must not support overlay. This means more work for the processor. The green bar fix was a change of default colour depth which would also put more load than before on the CPU. Can you give me more info (via email) on what file types are giving you the most problem?

Thanks Tony

Sound not working anymore, Video fixed, but choppy.
 By atapahs - Posted on July 15, 2002 - 22:08:49   (#2212)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.2
My sound was working on the last version, The video had green bar on bottom - but is now fixed (thanks) but it is now choppy too. I have a nvidia card.

thanks
 By nerfherder - Posted on July 11, 2002 - 17:26:03   (#2190)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.2
Video looks great now. You are doing an awsome job on the project.

--jeremy

Gotta agree - awesome job!
 By Big Al - Posted on July 11, 2002 - 15:44:32   (#2188)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.2
I love the port. I use it more for viewing DivX video than DVD since audio works so much better with VideoLAN.

This is a great program and great addition to BeOS!

thanks
 By fye - Posted on July 11, 2002 - 12:43:59   (#2186)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.2
i just wanted to thank you for the BeOS port... i think videoLAN will be THE movie player both for BeOS and OBOS in the future!

Thanks again...

Brightness etc
 By tonycastley - Posted on July 11, 2002 - 09:29:34   (#2183)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.2
Now I have most of the video output stuff working well (still have some issues with odd sized avi movies), I will be implementing the Configuration screens next that should provide all the features that the other ports supply.

Tony

Brightness/Contrast
 By Androo - Posted on July 11, 2002 - 06:58:47   (#2182)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.2
When are we going to be able to change the brightness/contrast in the BeOS version?

no more green bar bug!
 By titer - Posted on July 10, 2002 - 02:02:02   (#2170)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.1
it should have been fixed in 0.4.2.
enjoy!

Overlay in ATI
 By nerfherder - Posted on June 10, 2002 - 23:17:59   (#1762)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.1
I can't get good video output at all with 4.1 and my ATI rage128, it worked with 4.0. I get a green bar at the bottom 1/3 of my screen and the red seems shifted up about an inch. Also I cannot get overlay working in any of the new vlcs with the ati, mmx on or off, overlay on.

You guys are doing a great job bringing high quality video back to Be where it belongs.

Thanks,
--jeremy

problem
 By tonycastley - Posted on June 10, 2002 - 13:28:17   (#1754)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.1
I cannot read the french (?) mail but the commands have changed --no-overlay or --no-mmx (Intel) or --no-3dn (AMD)

Re: bizard
 By titer - Posted on June 10, 2002 - 13:25:15   (#1753)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.1
It looks like an overlay problem, which graphic card are you using? Try lauching vlc from a Terminal with the --nooverlay option.

bizard
 By rayman - Posted on June 10, 2002 - 09:42:46   (#1751)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.1
Que se soit sur BeOS 5.03 ou Dano, j'ai un défaut de couleur verte
sur la vidéo, et celà sur un DVD ou une vidéo Mpeg. Environ 1 tier
de l'image du bas se retrouve avec du vert en fondu ( bizard ).
Je vais voir si je peux envoyer un mail au groupe de travail avec
un copie d'écran.

no BONE. :(
 By procton - Posted on June 6, 2002 - 22:18:01   (#1711)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.1
Grr... It says it is a bone version, but it is really only
a Dano/Exp version. :/

Regards

/Procton

nVidia Overlay problems
 By tonycastley - Posted on May 27, 2002 - 03:10:27   (#1564)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.0
Sorry for the hassle with the overlays. We have been fighting some problems with the MMX code for a while. When that is fixed and the subtitles are fixed I will create a new bugfix release. The lack of DivX in the Bone version is my problem. I forgot to link in the "mad" library for the DivX support. My bad.
This will also be fixed, just give me and the other guys a few days.

Thanks Tony Castley

fix for overlay color problems
 By shatty - Posted on May 26, 2002 - 23:49:35   (#1560)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.0
I think it is a problem with the nvidia driver that some people are experiencing color problems in overlay mode. There's no need to disable overlay to get your video to play with the right color. Just disable mmx. Disabling mmx will allow you to still use the overlay and the considerable speed benefits of overlay. To disable mmx just use this: vlc --nommx &

overlay issues, divx issues
 By shatty - Posted on May 26, 2002 - 11:39:22   (#1556)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.0
Seems like the nvidia support still isn't there. Although my card shows an overlay picture, it has color problems. These problems go away in bitmap mode. I have a theory about this problem but I haven't had a chance to check it.

Also I noticed that the "bone" version doesn't seem to support playing divx. The regular version does support playing a large number of divx formats. (everything I tried in a brief period) Seeking seemed pretty good too.

VLC and DivX
 By rain - Posted on May 26, 2002 - 10:57:44   (#1554)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.0
Has anyone been able to successfully play a DivX movie all the way to the end?
The picture just locks up after about half a minute for me, and seeking doesn't help either. I've tried with about 10 movies and none of them plays successfully.

Love it
 By Androo - Posted on May 25, 2002 - 12:14:29   (#1547)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.0
<sniffle> I can watch DVDs under BeOS now with pretty much the same quality as PowerDVD under Windows </sniffle>

This new version is fantastic. Still plenty of problems, of course, but it's decent enough to comfortably watch a movie. Subtitles don't work (at least not with overlay) still, there's a few crashes left to work out, etc.

A way to adjust the video output for brightness, color and contrast would be nice! Just a suggestion.

How to nvidia
 By alihasa - Posted on April 11, 2002 - 07:59:58   (#884)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.3.0 Non-BONE
I have nvidia based grphic card. Since the 0.3.0 version does not support overlay for nvidia, i have to use --noverlay. But this is so slow (even slower than 0.9.2). I guess this is because --nooverlay option uses "Bitmap" instead of Direct Window. Does anyone knows how to use Direct Windows and --nooverlay in vlc 0.3.0. Thanx.

re 3DNow
 By tonycastley - Posted on April 9, 2002 - 10:00:09   (#838)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.3.0 Non-BONE
VideoLan still supports 3DNow but these versions have been compiled and statically linked on a P3 machine. If you compile your own version on your AMD box it will use 3dNow. Once you compile it email me the version (just the exe) and I will make it available for others.

3dnow question
 By samui - Posted on April 9, 2002 - 08:48:01   (#837)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.3.0 Non-BONE
When I run vlc in verbose mode, it tells that it's using 'extended mmx' for memcpy. the previous version uses 3dnow. What happened to 3dnow support in 0.3.0?

Updated Pages and information
 By tonycastley - Posted on April 8, 2002 - 07:08:22   (#815)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.3.0
I have updated the packages on my site http://www.castley.net/vlc/ to remove the segfault on stopping the video and I have included simple instuctions on how to get it to compile on any (?) BeOS version. Thanks to previous feedback comments. Splinter

Compile in 5.03
 By SlimSCSI2 - Posted on April 7, 2002 - 23:11:26   (#806)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.3.0
I was able to compile under 5.03
It was a bit tricky

This is how i did it
Download the VLC source,
download libdvdcss source ( http://www.videolan.org/libdvdcss/download.html )
===
expand libdvdcss source
in terminal change to the libdvdcss dir and type
./configure [ENTER]
make [ENTER]
===
expand VLC source
in terminal change to that dir and type
./configure --with-dvdcss-tree=/boot/home/Desktop/libdvdcss-1.1.1 (or whatever dir you compiled libdvdcss in)
===
open Makefile in StyledEdit and remove the lines:
network \
network/ipv4 \
network/ipv6 \
(You may not have to do this step if you have BONE installed)
===

in terminal type:
make [ENTER]

Hope this works for everyone else
--------------------------------
PS.
I have an ATI All-In-WOnder 128 and I can't get overlay to work

BONE == Dano?!?
 By stippi - Posted on April 7, 2002 - 18:17:39   (#798)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.3.0
You didn't by any chance compile this under Dano? I cannot launch the BONE executable, because there is a symbol missing only present in Dano.

On the way...
 By Blue Monk - Posted on January 15, 2002 - 10:12:16   (#390)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.2.92
While its absolutely great that this project has brought DVD playback to BeOS, it must be noted that its not suitable for everyday use. Depending on the version, the disc, and the alignment of Jupiter with Mars, I get either crashes, stuttering, choppy audio, or just plain bad playback. Kudos to the team for keeping this going, and I hope it only gets better in the future.

The best (and only) DVD player for BeOS
 By dister - Posted on October 16, 2001 - 15:50:48   (#357)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.2.8.1
I had some problems with the older versions (0.2.7-0.2.8) watching DVDs with my GeForce graphic-card (no overlay function).
Version 0.2.9 works really fine, I think they even managed to improve the output quality a bit. On a AMD 700 MHz a bit slow in fullscreen.
Language and subtitle change works without problems. The application is getting better with every release. Hope they still continue to support BeOS.

Comment Pages:    << prev  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  next >>

Misc. Video Tools