VLC Media Player
 Go back to the VLC Media Player page
Re: sculdheizo - too fast CPU
 By SD - Posted on August 4, 2004 - 18:07:32   (#13721)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.2
Issue is known and solution proposed at TBJ forum and tested on several machines. It includes manual kernel patching. Once done, you get all apps working properly in BeOS, not only VLC

Re: fast processors
 By sculdheizo - Posted on August 4, 2004 - 14:07:55   (#13720)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.2
I get this out of sync issue on my 2.8Ghz laptop. I also notice that media player cuts off audio files short, and it seems porportional to the length of the audio file (longer audio, cuts off more).

This is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed in BeOS, but I don't think it's a VLC problem but, as said previously, a problem with a Be lib that it uses.

Deej

Re: Processor too fast
 By ljr - Posted on August 4, 2004 - 11:37:22   (#13719)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.2
Maybe this is the problem with last processors : after 2200mhz, be starts to loose his foots....

New Asus board...no VLC audio sync with DVD's !!
 By Riplee - Posted on August 4, 2004 - 00:32:23   (#13714)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.2
Ever since I got my new motherboard..Asus P4P800-VM P4 2.4 Ghz Nvidia FX 5900SE Audigy 2 ZS...VLC plays everything with horrible audio/video sync. I see the posts about the pitch shift thing...I get that...it starts out, out of sync, then the pitch rises...eventually dropping back to normal...but now way out of sync.
Any ideas as to why this is happening...I really miss watching DVD's with Be....Oh..BTW..this also happens with VLC playing video clips. I seem to have no a/v sync at all anymore. HELP?!!??

Re: You guys any closer to catching...
 By titer - Posted on July 29, 2004 - 11:09:21   (#13643)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.2
> I did manage to discover when the problem appeared - it was with the new audio core introduced with the 0.5 series (the BeOS audio output was switched from one of the Game Kit sound classes to one of the Media Kit ones).

Yes, we used to use BPushGameSound to push the sound samples to the sound card, now we use BSoundPlayer to pull audio from VLC. That's one of the main changes in 0.5's audio core. You could kludge it by adding a thread which pulls from VLC then pushes to a BPushGameSound as we used to, but that should be the last resort...

Re: You guys any closer to catching...
 By tb100 - Posted on July 29, 2004 - 09:47:45   (#13642)
Hi titler,

I tried building vlc to see if I could hunt down the issue, but hit some build problems after following all the steps in the how-to. I might take a look again soon.

I wonder if it is a core system problem or a driver problem or something - as every other BeOS player goes out of sync, whereas vlc stays in sync but has to fight pretty hard to do so. The fact that it worked fine before 0.5 is perhps a good place to start though.

Re: You guys any closer to catching...
 By titer - Posted on July 29, 2004 - 09:32:43   (#13641)
Couldn't reproduce, couldn't fix :|

However, I've made building VLC with all the needed libraries fairly easy: see <http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/beos-compile.html>. So any developer who has this problem can have a look.
Oh, and, it takes two hours to build the whole thing on my PIII 933, so don't be surprised ;)

You guys any closer to catching...
 By Jess - Posted on July 26, 2004 - 07:02:23   (#13572)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.2
You guys any closer to catching that pitch issue?

Re: Multicast
 By titer - Posted on July 25, 2004 - 18:52:19   (#13568)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.2
Multicast support is required at the OS level - unfortunately neither BeOS or Zeta supports multicast at the moment.

Multicast
 By Soulbender - Posted on July 22, 2004 - 05:49:37   (#13495)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.2
Would it be possible to add multicast support so that beos vlc can be a, uh, vlc client?

thanks
 By jonas.kirilla - Posted on July 13, 2004 - 14:23:31   (#13300)
BTW, this app rules!

Thank you VideoLan.org!

audio/language track
 By jonas.kirilla - Posted on July 13, 2004 - 14:19:06   (#13299)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.2
I was having problems with audio, no audio track being selected from start, which I solved by setting Preferences - Input - Choose audio channel: 0 instead of 1.

Re: DVD Menu
 By theophanus - Posted on June 3, 2004 - 00:44:51   (#12675)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.2
there is an option of using the menu's on the DVD itself.
you need to go to preferences--modules--interface--beos and there is a box to check that will use onscreen menus in movie. If you choose this option, I find that it is best to just let the DVD run thru to the menu screen in the movie. If I try to rush it by going in to navigation--menu it seems it causes problems. I presonally like the DVD menu option off.
You get to the movie quicker and if you want subtitles or a different sound then just click on Audio-langauge or Audio Subtitle on the VLC gui. Hope this helps.

DVD menu
 By edmundf - Posted on June 2, 2004 - 21:09:28   (#12671)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.2
Today for the first time I saw a menu on a DVD where I could select a language and subtitles. I worked too but after closing and restarting I can not see or select this menu again.

After I have seen this I want it back, suggestions?

thanks

Edmund

Re: 7
 By Rene Gollent - Posted on May 31, 2004 - 22:24:34   (#12641)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.2
Support for video output embedded in interfaces refers to it now being possible to make a vlc interface that's a single window rather than the separate control and video output windows it's had in the past, if I'm not mistaken.

Re: pvnm
 By tb100 - Posted on May 31, 2004 - 18:57:33   (#12640)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.2
Pvnm - How old's your computer? Your symptons sound like it's just struggling to find the raw CPU power to decode the video in time.

Btw, I've discovered the pitch change issues were introduced with the change to the new audio architecture that happened with the 0.5 release - 0.4.6a doesn't suffer from the problem, 0.5.0 does. I actually downloaded the source to try and have a look at it, but exams are in a week, so no time at the moment.

audio output: pitch and dropout issues
 By nutela - Posted on May 31, 2004 - 18:12:31   (#12639)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.2
I've noticed that the 0.71 version for windows has this weird pitch compensation to video effect.
The BeOS version suffered from dropouts in any audio file or video file plus sometimes severe aliasing.
I hope this will be fixed, better sooner than later : ) Paul

Embed in browser?
 By 7 - Posted on May 25, 2004 - 09:06:56   (#12569)
THis feature:

Support for video output embedded in interfaces.

Does it mean it can be a plugin for moz?

Pitch change
 By Jess - Posted on May 24, 2004 - 06:09:51   (#12562)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.2
I just caught it doing the pitch change thing again. :(

8mb haha!
 By Jess - Posted on May 24, 2004 - 06:02:42   (#12561)
Hey,
I'd like to definatly extend thanks to the VLC Be port team. I'm listenting to a stream right now & it sounds like the pitch is staying consistent. Anyhow I noticed the bin is 8MB ha! Anyhow it's works great so far & I can play a few things the last version couldn't.

I'm curious about skin support though. Will you guys be adding it anytime soon or is it too crazy to implement on the Be port?

Say What?
 By Jess - Posted on May 24, 2004 - 05:47:22   (#12560)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.2
huh? sorry I dont speak french

Sond problem...
 By cvincent - Posted on April 24, 2004 - 12:29:15   (#12173)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.1
ok i write in frensh for more explain :
Mon probleme c'est que avec la 0.7.1 le son saccade sur toutes les video, et pas du tout avec la 0.7.0

oula

Audio pitch
 By Jess - Posted on April 19, 2004 - 12:34:21   (#12115)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.1
Hey,
I was wondering if a fix for the poor audio pitch issue was being worked on? VLC is the only thing I have left in Be that can do streaming audio but it constantly shifts pitch & it's very annoying.

Wrong OS..
 By MYOB - Posted on April 15, 2004 - 11:21:30   (#12044)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.1
if you're using a wxWindows build, you're commenting in the wrong place, this is for the BeOS VideoLAN Client

playing some mpg and not others
 By lisalovlee33 - Posted on April 15, 2004 - 10:02:38   (#12042)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.1
i just downloaded the latest version tonight,0.7.1 (wxWindows)
I have a few different .mpg files, VLC seems to play some of them and not others. The file that is not playing is as follows (there're clues in the filename that could be helpful.. although i can't seem to get it.
The.Passion.Of.The.Christ.SVCD.TS-Centropy.CD1.mpg
I have done the following for the above:
1. Do a quick open, only sound, blank black screen.
2. Try opening a file and changing the output stream with the following fields, MPEGTS, mp1v (and 2v and 3v and DIV). Some of them return a blank black screen with audio, some just do nothing, no screen and no sound.

Another problem is playing .avi files. They seem to be split vertically into 4. What i mean to say is, the screen shows 4 identical-squished in picture.

please help.. If possibly please email me as well at lisalovlee33@hotmail.com (lov not love) because, this post is hard to find!!!! Thanks lots in advance

Open URL command would be nice
 By NathanW - Posted on April 15, 2004 - 00:43:40   (#12034)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.1
I noticed that VLC has support for playing media direct from web servers - yet there seems to be no interface for this other than the command line. Perhaps you could add an "Open URL" item, like MediaPlayer has?

Now it's all green
 By Gilles_R - Posted on April 12, 2004 - 12:48:41   (#11941)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.1
Since I unstalled vlc 0.7.1, the video are completely green. Same problem with vlc 0.7.0 and 0.6, but, interstingly not with 0.4 !

Help is appreciated

Video playback
 By Eddyspeeder - Posted on March 14, 2004 - 02:38:05   (#11454)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.1
Normally vlc has no problems playing MPEG videos but _all_ videos from http://www.timchristensen.dk/ just stop at some point (but don't make vlc crash; it plays on, just video and sound stop while vlc continues playing) and vlc shows no video images the first 5 - 7 seconds. It happens with all videos, so could you look into that please?

I have a Pentium III 667 mHz, 640 (512+128) MB RAM, Voodoo 3... usually no problems playing any video type.

Some direct links to the vids:

Voodoo3
 By NathanW - Posted on March 4, 2004 - 19:42:49   (#11330)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.1
I'm using a Voodoo3 with overlay using these drivers: http://drewke.net/main.php?frame_main=doc_36&ne_mainleft=20&no_mainleft=3 It works beautifully.

Oh, nice one.
 By tqh - Posted on March 3, 2004 - 17:27:27   (#11320)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.1
Seems to be much better at streaming, no stuttering at all.

Cannot receive NPR anymore.
 By procosm - Posted on February 23, 2004 - 00:03:17   (#11186)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.0
I was able to stream NPR radio well with VLC in the version that came with Beos Max Edition PE 3, but then it suddenly stopped with that version and VLC. I tried downloading VLC 0.7.0 to see if I can get it again but no. I have got quite a long log file of trying to receive it. To long to post here. I don't know the developers name but I could email it to you if you want

titer, some bugs and suggestions...
 By Diver - Posted on January 25, 2004 - 01:06:12   (#10752)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.0
*1. It is not possible to set Navigate up/down/left/right to Unset shortcut, default one restores after program relaunch.

*2. Volume control is very annoying, it just doesn't changing smoothly by 1 step, instead it changing by 3% and you can't just hold down volume control shortcut you have to press it again again and again in order to set volume level that you want.

*3. Also volume level resets when you press Save or Apply in Preferences, to reproduce it open a movie change volume level, open Preferences window and press Save or Apply.

*4. What the point in having Save and apply buttons? I think it isn't BeOS way i suggest to make Defaults and Revert buttons.

*5. Hotkeys doesn't work for main window, so you can't jump 10 seconds righ/left when you playing mp3 or any other audio file.

*6. Use system plain font instead of Swiss*.

*7. Preferences and Messages windows are always created at workspace where vlc was launched.

Thanks for your work, Eric!

YEAH!
 By _JuDgEn_ - Posted on January 15, 2004 - 13:51:57   (#10575)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.0
I must say to al the sceptics, THIS APP ROX.. i have used it since the 2.9-beta or so and now i can play ALL my videofiles excetp the ones in .rm. And that is a lot since i have atleast a terrabyte of movies and tv-series. And a very cool thing is that it seems to become faster for every release too.

The only thing left that i REALLY want in the further releases is the ability to "Find files/tracks within playlist" ie: If i have all the episodes of Friends, That 70´s show and Southpark + 200gb animé in the playlist it gets very hard to find a certain episode.. otherwise its PERFECT. To all who have made work on it, I bow down for thee.

//_JuDgEn_ Why mess with the best, good, normal, mediocre or worthless when you can mess with me =)

why using that?
 By BePage - Posted on January 15, 2004 - 12:11:18   (#10572)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.0
Dano and so Zeta too supports this out of the app_server.

--BePage

Why are Skins not support in BeOS version of VLC?
 By hey68you - Posted on January 15, 2004 - 11:51:08   (#10571)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.0
Why are Skins not support in BeOS version of VLC?

It seems that you could support it given applications like:

"moe" http://www.bebits.com/app/1995

moe is great because it allows for transparent background on non-square images.

Also, cl-amp and soundplay use winamp skins.

Just curious

To eXtreme regarding Voodoo 3
 By Z (Buck) - Posted on January 12, 2004 - 19:34:28   (#10502)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.0
Extreme, yes please, if it's not too hard for you to do, please send these openGL drivers to my email (I think my name should be clickable now). I've just tried dano drivers and that machine just hangs right before going into graphical mode. I only replaced 3dfx drivers in /kernel/bin, kernel/dev/graphics and accelerants. I ended copying entire /drivers tree from dano to R5 and then input server started going to KDL every boot, but then it went to graphical mode... Horrors. I ended up installing dano and vlc then ran in overlay mode, however the performance improvement is barely noticeable... On FreeBSD on the same machine mplayer runs so smooth it's almost beyond belief. I think it only started running that way after I compiled it with "optimized flags"... I think they mean gcc v.3. Is the same possible with vlc on BeOS? Either way, please send me these drivers, dano is just too messy.

VLC & soundsync (divX) problem solved
 By vanne - Posted on January 12, 2004 - 00:43:02   (#10492)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.0
It seems there is a sound sync problem with VLC, while watching DivX. The sound laggs about 2 seconds behind the video. Ive traced this back to the following...

It only does it if you have a network card installed set up for dhcp, and you dont have the network cable plugged in.

trippy...
but hey, at least i can now watch divX again with VLC and in Sync :)
hope thats useful to someone.

Re: Great App! ...but some problems with it...
 By mictlantecuhtli - Posted on January 12, 2004 - 00:37:05   (#10491)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.0
I have the same nuisance when my machine is overclocked, with 0.6.x versions at least, haven't noticed it in 0.7.0. At default speed it plays clips perfectly.

Voodoo 3
 By eXtreme - Posted on January 11, 2004 - 22:45:02   (#10490)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.0
For overlay on Voodoo 3 you must have Voodoo banshee driver from 5.1d0 or the best driver is from openGL package. If u have problem contact me and i will send it to you.

Overlay in 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000
 By Z (Buck) - Posted on January 10, 2004 - 23:29:44   (#10479)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.7.0
Hey there! I have this Dual PentiumPro-200 machine with 3dfx videocard and VLC (the 0.7.0 version) always plays back videos in Bitmap mode, no overlay. Of course this eats all these two processors power and basically the divx video files play at 5 fps or so. The overlays are used (the checkbox in preferences is on), but the video window always says 'bitmap'. What gives? I thought 3dfx had a good overlay support in BeOS... And yes, it has 16Mb of memory and the desktop runs at 640x480 resolution... My another BeOS machine with GeForce MX200 card doesn't have this problem. Anyone? Please help?

Comment Pages:    << prev  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  next >>

Misc. Video Tools