HandBrake
 Go back to the HandBrake page
2 pass encoding seg faults
 By surfed - Posted on January 10, 2004 - 18:08:08   (#10477)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.5.2
for some reason 2 pass encoding seg faults soon after start, 1pass encoding works just great for me...

(S)VCD
 By s_d - Posted on December 8, 2003 - 23:31:20   (#9921)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.5.2
(S)VCD is MPEG-1 if i recall correctly. And that's no problem to create files coded in that format.
problem is to create VCD CD image to burn, IMHO.
as (S)VCD disk format is quite special - it looks like usual CD (ISO9960) but it isn't. ISO9600 part contains only titles/links to real content. And that content is hidden in separate partition on real (S)VCD.
But i hope there may be command-line tools (maybe mkhybrid? - or something more specialized?) to create such images.

Fantastic App!! Feature suggests wanted?
 By Das Jott - Posted on December 8, 2003 - 19:26:17   (#9916)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.5.2
At first let me say: This is a wonderful program.Easy to use fantastic quality a.s.o. ...
I think it would be really cool for the future, if you could choose the output Format (not just MPG4/DivX). F.e. Mpeg1, 2, and i don't know.
One question: (how)Can I use DVDRip or Handbrake to create files for(S)VCDs? Or finaly do (S)VCDs? My DVD-homestation doesn't play DivX. SVCD/VCD would be possible.
(I'm a simple, stupid User...)

Subs
 By Methedras - Posted on November 15, 2003 - 12:31:09   (#9644)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.5.2
First of all, thx for this great app !
Is it possible to encode a video with the subtitle ? That would be just great !

Thx,
Olivier

To Eric
 By zenja - Posted on November 13, 2003 - 22:40:37   (#9627)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.5.2
Eric: DVDRip and HandBrake aren't for the same purpose at all - DVDRip only decrypts DVD data and outputs MPEG-2, while HandBrake performs decoding/encoding and outputs MPEG-4.

Eric, here is a feature request - how about merging the 2 apps into one.

Handbrake Crashes While Trying To Open "The Matrix"
 By zoontf - Posted on November 13, 2003 - 11:39:35   (#9621)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.5.2
Hi!

I was trying to encode "The Matrix" from my "The Matrix" DVD. Unfortunately, after mounting the DVD to my desktop, launching handbrake 0.5.1, and telling it to open that volume (which it does detect), it crashes during the process of enumerating the titles for this DVD. It works fine on some of my other DVDs. VLC can play The Matrix, so I can watch it - but handbrake just dies trying to open it.

SOOO, what is the proper way for me to get more detailed information about this problem so that I can then e-mail that info as a bug-report to Mr. Petit?

BTW, since this app is so cool, I think we should start calling Eric, "Le Petit Prince," instead of Eric Petit, or E. Petit, or whatever else. He's just that great.

Good app, but...
 By BePhantom - Posted on November 13, 2003 - 09:44:24   (#9618)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.5.2
Great app I really liked it, but still there are big weak points.

Just some feature request:
-Encoding single .vob files. That would be just *great*.
-Buffering option (like DVDx in Windoze), It will let you buffer an amount of MB (you decide how much... let's say 100MB) into your RAM or HD so that your DVD will not burn info flames after reading for 5 or 12hs :-D
So, It copies 100MB to the HD, gives a rest to the DVD, while it encodes those 100MB, when it finishes then it buffers another 100 and so on. What do you think, is this possible?
-Another feature is changing Frame Rate, we can only encode 29.9fps, it would be nice to change it (to like 23fps).
-We can only see the number of the time that it will take to finish... that's great, but could it be possible to know also how much movie time are we encoding in the middle of the process?
-Subtitles, will it be possible to encode the movie with subtitles? I mean as a separate .sub or text file or as an image already merged in the picture (I don't know if you get me).

That's all for now. The cropping is awesome, it's the best I've seen so far. This app has future so keep up the good work!
Sorry for my English.

Cheers

a very good app !
 By beosfrance - Posted on November 13, 2003 - 09:21:39   (#9616)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.5.2
since i was trying a few years ago to encode some of my DVDs to Divx under Windows and never got the result i espect, i have to say that with HadBrake, just a few clics and it's gone !!!

Very great to have at least a pretty good video app for our multimedia OS !

misc
 By titer - Posted on November 13, 2003 - 04:04:49   (#9612)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.5.2
euporia420: sorry, I don't plan to support any format but DVDs - would be a really too huge task to support every format ffmpeg or VLC handles.

zenja: DVDRip and HandBrake aren't for the same purpose at all - DVDRip only decrypts DVD data and outputs MPEG-2, while HandBrake performs decoding/encoding and outputs MPEG-4.

This app rocks. Feature request.
 By euporia420 - Posted on November 13, 2003 - 03:54:57   (#9611)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.5.2
Your app is great. I was wondering though if it would be possible to add support to open existing video files for cropping. I'm not an expert at estimating crop levels to insert into ffmpeg. Your crop window and features are wonderful. I am very happy with HandBrake.

Thanks a million,
-David

Being embarrased...
 By Kokito - Posted on November 13, 2003 - 03:42:08   (#9610)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.5.2
zenja wrote:
> Koki, Eric is the author of both DVDRip and HandBrake...

Well, now I am embarrased. :-)

Koki

What prog to view the result
 By edmundf - Posted on November 11, 2003 - 21:11:02   (#9596)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.5.1
What are you using to view the ripped movie?
Only VLC does it for me, but I like to edit something with
eg personalStudio.

Version 5.1 is great, but still crashes after finishing a DVD
 By menagie - Posted on November 11, 2003 - 13:58:59   (#9590)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.5.1
I tried version 5.0 but that version freezes my PC. Accidently found version 5.1 and this one doesn't eat all my memory. The output quality is great. Does anyone know how to include subtitles?!

They're both done by same developer
 By zenja - Posted on November 11, 2003 - 01:07:00   (#9582)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.5.1
Koki, Eric is the author of both DVDRip and HandBrake. I'm sure that Eric plans on creating the best DVD ripping app out there.

DVDrip is faster
 By Kokito - Posted on November 11, 2003 - 00:19:59   (#9581)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.5.1
Try DVDrip (http://www.bebits.com/app/3118). It is way faster.

MediaPlayer doesn't play it
 By edmundf - Posted on November 10, 2003 - 23:05:55   (#9579)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.5.1
Ripped an DVD fine, but the AVI can't be played with BeOS MediaPlayer. Am I missing something?

BTW it took some 5 hours to rip 1.5 hour DVD on an 800MHz, is this normal?

new feature : quit and continue
 By ljr - Posted on November 8, 2003 - 17:18:01   (#9550)
It should be great if HandBrake could be stop and restart on the same project after a reboot for exemple...

Sweeeeet
 By Kwabena - Posted on November 8, 2003 - 14:56:31   (#9549)
Love this app. I just got my first dvd drive and I stumbled across this while looking for an app to rip dvds. Worked on Linux, Mac and BeOS so I reinstalled BeOS just to try it out and WOW! This app rocks and does BeOS rock or what. I was ripping the dvd, burning a cd and listening to music at the same time! (PIV 2.4Ghz 768Mb ram). Can't wait till version 1.0 comes out. Keep up the good no great work Eric!

Great! but crashes on exit
 By Masque - Posted on November 8, 2003 - 12:49:49   (#9547)
I love this app! Easy and powerful!
But, there's a little bug: if you launch it and close it without select any source it crashes.

segment violation occurred
_free_internal:
_free_internal:
+0025 ec062225: * fc428b movl -0x00000004(%edx), %eax

Is there the possibility to add ogg audio encoding? It would be great when combined with xvid, expecially when encoding concerts and musicals!

WWEEEEEH
 By _JuDgEn_ - Posted on November 8, 2003 - 12:22:19   (#9546)
It works perfectly and it does the work that takes my friends current DVD-ripper in windows 8 hours. NICE WORK what a killer app!

Killer App <period>
 By zoontf - Posted on November 8, 2003 - 10:50:47   (#9545)
Yep, this is one bad-ass, killer-app. It is such a simple idea, but such a nice execution.

And since we all think it is so great, why not vote for it on BeBits and give it some real respect?

I'll do my part.

Hmmm
 By _JuDgEn_ - Posted on November 7, 2003 - 12:40:39   (#9535)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.1
I have ripped some DVD´s but now i just get "invalid disc" and a crash.... wonder what the problem is except the segment violation

Fantastic
 By zenja - Posted on November 7, 2003 - 00:21:30   (#9532)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.1
Just ripped Matrix Reloaded - stick disk in, hit Rip, wait 1h40m (38fps), worked perfectly. Audio/video always in sync when played back using VLC.

I can see this app progressing/improving immensely during the next few years. Imagine a version in the future which rips a DVD, encodes it to MPEG2 so that it fits on a DVD+-R (4.38Gb), and then you just hit burn, and archieve a DVD using only 2 clicks - RIP and BURN. Now that would be the killer app this platform needs.

Great work Eric, this is one of my most favourite apps on any platfrom.

this is the app the world waited for
 By nad_flanders - Posted on October 30, 2003 - 23:08:43   (#9425)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.1
I love this application, especially the feature for ripping with two languages.
The app runs stable and fast under BeOS Pro R5.0.3 and under Zeta RC1.
I tried it on my IBook but it´s CPU its to slow for ripping DVDs.

BGA/bellhop
 By titer - Posted on October 17, 2003 - 15:27:19   (#9265)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.1
BGA: please send me logs via email or join me on IRC - BeBits talkbacks are not that handy for debugging ;)

bellhop: I don't think I'd work on DVDRemaster as I don't have that much spare time and as I wouldn't use it anyway - sorry ;)

Next project?
 By bellhop - Posted on October 17, 2003 - 11:44:29   (#9263)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.1
Eric, are you looking for a follow-up or side project? :)
How about a re-encoder for DVDs/M2V streams?
There's Metakine's GPLed DVDRemaster at http://www.metakine.com/products/dvdremaster/modules.html and a possibly helpful discussion of a guy porting it to win32 at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62849

More info.
 By BGA - Posted on October 17, 2003 - 03:08:15   (#9259)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.1
It was not that stupid as I did not really expect that. Anyway, I still have problems.

I have this DVD that has 17 titles total. One is the movie itself (1:52:00) and all the others are small clips (up to 00:05:00 at most). The movie is being encoded without problems. *NONE* of the small clips are. Handbrake starts, then it almost immediatelly goes to 100% and says it finished encoding. The resulting file is the 2 Kb file I mentioned earlier.

-Bruno

Maybe it's a stupid question but...
 By titer - Posted on October 17, 2003 - 01:33:23   (#9258)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.1
BGA, did you launch a 2-pass encoding? If you did, HandBrake doesn't write anything until it reaches 50% (i.e. until the second pass starts) - then it's a feature, not a bug ;)

If you keep having the problem even in 1-pass encoding, please mail me.

Maybe I am just out of luck but...
 By BGA - Posted on October 17, 2003 - 00:53:04   (#9257)
 Current version when comment was posted: 0.4.1
Version 0.4.1 does not work for me either. It still does not save the video do the file. It does extract the scenes for the crop window though so it is not a problem decoding the DVD. Is there any info I can collect that would help you?

-Bruno

Crashing
 By SlimSCSI2 - Posted on October 16, 2003 - 02:19:56   (#9245)
I'm crashing also. I will send some logs a bit later.

As far as the two people that are working, what do you have in common?
That could be a good clue as to what is wrong.
Are you running Bone or Dano?
Do you have any other updated libraries?
Do you have intel or AMD chips?
What version of GCC are you running?

If you would like to send me the libs (I am having trouble compiling a few of them)
I can compile HandBrake on my machine and see if that resolves anything.

Works fine..
 By Double G - Posted on October 16, 2003 - 01:07:51   (#9243)
Ripped three DVD's with 2 pass encoding... no problems. Great work!! can't wait for the next version!!

no data saved
 By Remy - Posted on October 16, 2003 - 00:05:11   (#9239)
Titer: very happy for you :) I'll send you log files of my crashes

BGA: it seems that (my) HandBrake 0.4 zeroes the avi file after a crash ... when the 2 pass-encoding option is enabled.

please, decent bug reports
 By titer - Posted on October 15, 2003 - 00:24:59   (#9225)
Believe me or not, I never had HandBrake crashing on any of my DVDs, on BeOS, OS X and Linux ;p

So please, don't just ask me to fix bugs and email details to me so I would be able to help.

It does not work. :P
 By BGA - Posted on October 14, 2003 - 19:14:38   (#9217)
It seems to be working except that it does not seem to be saving any data to the file. It does not matter for how long I keep it running, the end result will be a (non-functional) 2 Kb file. Either you came up with a really clever compression scheme or it is broken. :)

-Bruno

crashes
 By timpanic - Posted on October 14, 2003 - 17:44:17   (#9214)
still crashes after 30 %..sad....would be such a great app !

mmmm ......
 By gijsbert - Posted on October 14, 2003 - 10:32:42   (#9208)
mmm it seems to stop after 3% ....
twice

very nice !
 By gijsbert - Posted on October 14, 2003 - 10:12:33   (#9206)
works great !!
nice resizing and cropping !

:))

This one works for me :-)
 By InactiveX - Posted on August 29, 2003 - 23:58:02   (#8629)
I couldn't get the previous versions to get past >10%, but this has just ripped my Enter The Dragon DVD entirely.

Titer: Thank you very much. I think you're making great progress. It looks great under VLC.

One thing I noticed - the rip almost (but not quite) maxxed out my dual celerons, but when it had finished ripping, they both went at complete 100%. My CPUs temps shot up to 55C until I closed HandBrake down (even though the ripping had finished several minutes ago). Any ideas?

This is shaping up to be a great app. Thanks.

crashes
 By titer - Posted on August 27, 2003 - 10:22:24   (#8616)
No crashes here, but I hope I can help anyway ;)

Please run ' DVDCSS_VERBOSE=2 ./HandBrake > handbrake.log 2>&1' in a Terminal, run your rip as usual until it crashes and send me the log by mail.

re: titer
 By stephenb - Posted on August 27, 2003 - 08:29:21   (#8615)
==========================
Video is already VBR (you only specify the average bitrate), and 2-pass encoding is my main target for the next release.
==========================

Ah, excellent. That brings me to something I'd meant to touch on originally - any plans for some sort of bitrate/file size calculator? That one's not that big a deal though, cause I can usually find the length of the movie from Amazon and use a javascript bitrate calc.

==========================
About encoding others sources than DVD or VOB folders, it is not planned; check ffgui for this when Zeta is out.
==========================

Oh trust me, I've been waiting for it for a while. Got a rip of my old VHS copy of Network sitting on a temp drive - too lazy to boot into Windows to convert it to xvix.

Comment Pages:    << prev  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  next >>